By: Blake Taylor
One of the downsides of being stuck in the house is missing out on the delicious meals I would usually get when out to eat at restaurants. Instead of wasting away all of this extra free time, I decided to start learning how to make tasty and nutritious meals at home. I hoped to fix my sadness due to not being able to eat at my favorite restaurants, and it worked! Learning how to make simple recipes has not only given me a new hobby, but it also has given me the ability to make delicious and easy meals that my whole family can enjoy. Here are my top three favorite, healthy dishes that I have made during quarantine!
Breakfast: Picture-Worthy Greek Yogurt with Fruit
Here is a quick and easy breakfast (or snack) to fill your appetite. There isn’t a formal recipe, but just throw these ingredients in a bowl however you’d like. This isn’t only delicious, but it is picture-worthy too!
- -1 cup Greek yogurt
- -1 cup cut up apples (sprinkled with cinnamon)
- -1 and a half cups blueberries
- -3 large, cut up strawberries
- -1/4 cup chocolate granola (any type of granola works)
- -2 teaspoons Chia seeds
Lunch: Cauliflower Crust White Pizza
Cauliflower crusts are not only a healthy substitute for a regular pizza crust, but they are also DELICIOUS!
Ingredients: (add as much or as little as you would like for all!)
- -Store bought cauliflower crust (I use the personal size crust from Stew Leonard’s… soooo good!)
- -Ricotta cheese
- -Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- -Garlic Salt
- -Cherry Tomatoes
How to make:
- If the Is frozen, let it defrost. If not, get it prepared to put toppings on. Also, preheat your oven to the appropriate temperature listed on the package of the crust you bought
- Spread ricotta cheese over the pizza crust like you would with tomato sauce
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese all over the pizza
- Read the box of your cauliflower crust carefully to see how long it needs to cook in the oven (My Trader Joe’s crust cooked for around 11 minutes at 425 degrees)
- Once the pizza has finished baking, let cool and add arugula and cherry tomatoes on top
Dinner: Chicken Caprese (optional: side of pasta)
Lastly, here is a family-favorite dinner I have made many times over the recent months. It is easy, delicious, and will leave you and your family wanting more!
- -1 lb boneless skinless thin-sliced chicken breast
- -1 tablespoon olive oil
- -salt and pepper
- -1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- -4 thick slices of ripe tomato
- -4 1 ounce slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- -2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- -2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
How to make:
- Place chicken breasts in a pan on the stovetop at medium-high heat
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to the chicken
- Cook the chicken 3-5 minutes on each side
- Next, top chicken with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook another minute
- Take chicken off stove and add one slice of tomato on each piece of chicken, along with basil, more salt and pepper, and balsamic glaze
I also added a side of whole wheat pasta with seasoning to complete my meal. Enjoy!
Photos courtesy of Blake Taylor and Getty images.